I have no idea where the saying “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks” came from … because nothing could be further from the truth!
I taught my 6 year old golden retriever Poppy to shake hands .. and my 3 year old Siberian Husky Kyiah to roll over … and people say Siberian Huskies are notoriously hard to train.
All it takes is 5 minutes a day, persistence and maybe a few treats!
Let’s do “ROLL OVER” because it’s fun for the dog and such a good party trick for when guests come over.
1. First thing to remember is: Encouragement is always best … How to teach dog to roll over don’t punish your pet, remember this is supposed to be fun! So PRAISE when they do something good and IGNORE something bad or say NO firmly.
2. Get your dog to lie down on all fours … sit in front of them on your knees, so they are looking up at you.
3. Hold out your right hand – palm facing their face to show them they are to remain calm.
4. In your left hand reveal a small treat.
5. With your right hand .. move it in a circular motion saying the word “ROLL OVER”
6. Then gently roll them on their back and on their tummy again …Praise and give a small treat.
7. Do this for about 5 minutes only … otherwise they’ll get bored or confused.
8. Repeat everyday for 2 weeks at about the same time each day … soon they become conditioned that it’s TRICKS TIME.
9. After a while they’ll start to get the hint a circular hand movement means roll-over, but some dogs can get half way over and come back because they’re mesmerized by the treat. So persist and only give treat or praise for a full roll over.